Unspoken

My mother is pregnant again
This is her second pregnancy since my father died
Is it not said that only a widow knows where her husband is?
Today, I must cease being an orphan
Today, I too must be told where my father is!
.
The man who sleeps with my mother is a bed wetter
This is the fourth time he is accusing me falsely
Is it not said that whatever is whispered in the night, a child will shout at dawn?
Today, I must let the village know
Today, the elders will hear about the immature inheritor!
.
The man who eats eggs in the kitchen with my mother is not my father
This is the sixth time we are fed on bitter herbs as he wipes his oily lips with the back of his hands
Is it not said that a good husband will leave the meal for the kids and eat their mother instead?
Today, my mother's husband eats both
Today, I too must eat the egg or the hen!
.
The man who urinates on my father's grave is a witch
This is the eighth time I'm uprooting withered flowers from his grave
Is it not said that the libation poured to the dead should me the finest of all meals?
Today, an inheritor feeds the owner of the home with his urine
Today, my father and mother drink from the same manhood!
.
The man who has impregnated my mother is not my father
This is the tenth time I'm reminding him of this
Is it not said that children belong to the man, not unless the bride price is refunded?
Today, I will ask my mother's husband to pay her bride price
Today, I will not rest till I make the inheritor my father!
.
®Oyoo Mboya 2016
.
- Heartstrings -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diary of a Side Chick - Makhwapheni Episode 5

Diary of a Side Chick - Makhwapheni Episode 1

Diary of a Side Chick - Makhwapheni Episode 2