Dear Baby X

Dear Baby X,
 It really amazes me how much you’ve already touched our lives.  I mean you’re already the center of our lives, and we haven’t even met you yet.  All of our decisions we are making now and for the rest of our lives, will be made with you in mind. I hope you somehow know that I’m already trying to be a good daddy for you.  I remind mommy to eat well, I make sure she gets enough rest and not to do heavy works that may affect you. It is quite mind boggling for me to think about how much you’ll have to learn after you are born.  I promise to teach you everything I can about anything you want to know.  Be curious about everything.  Ask me a 'Nile' of questions.  I’ll explain how things work, why the sky is blue, why mommy is shorter than me.... and if you ask me something that I don’t know the answer to and you’re young enough, I’ll even make something up so it sounds good.Yes, of course daddy knows everything.
I hope to become your hero; someone you look up to.  I hope that you’ll never be afraid to tell me anything when you are a child or even older. By the way your mum tells me everything be it bad or good. Your parents are transparent you know. However, when you are a teenager and if you ask anything like how uncle Joshua was, I’d actually  prefer you to leave out some of those details because you’d make me a nervous wreck. I hope to be the type of father you brag about to all of your friends about how ‘cool’ he is. And I hope to inspire you to live a life that you love, and that you never ever let anything hold you back from reaching for the stars. Look at me. I’m already jumping many years ahead of myself.  You’re just 23 weeks, 1 day old.  But I also know that time goes by fast. You’ll be here before we know it.  It wont be long before I’m in the sitting room watching my favorite movie and I’ll be hearing your mommy talk to you and sing to you. It won’t be long before I’ll hear you crying and your mommy yelling from the kitchen that it’s my turn to change your diaper.  I’ll then quickly pick up the phone, walk to the stairs and say, “shhh… It seems the Chelsea game just started…“.  I’m Kidding. Of course I’ll change your diaper, even if its the favorite London derby between Chelsea and Arsenal… as long as you promise not to cry. And it won’t  be long before you’ll be big enough to walk to my bedroom just to give me a hug and say, I love you daddy. It’ll be quite some time for you to really realize it, but you are going to be your mommy and daddy’s everything.  The center of our universe.  The core of our apple.My child.  You’re going to be loved by a lot of wonderful people.  And I already know that you’re going to have a lot of love to give in return because you came from your mommy and I.  And we've been known to have a big heart that accommodates all kind of people. You can even ask aunty Gakii and Mwari. Especially after university.  But that’s a story you’ll have to wait for… until you're 21. As you grow every single day in your mommy’s belly, without even knowing it, you’re making your mommy and daddy grow too.  And I’m not talking about my belly because of all the Guiness I’m drinking lately.  I’m talking about growing as human beings. Growing as a couple.  Growing as individuals.  Growing as a family. Changes are happening to us that just, well, it’s hard to put into words.  For me, I've noticed that I reflect on life more.  It seems that everyday I obtain a tiny bit more of an understanding of this whole thing we call life.  And I expect by the time you are born and I get to see you for the first time, my understanding will become complete knowing. At that very moment, everything will just make sense…Another change I've experienced lately is a deeper and growing love for your mommy.  I call her Kaari in this letter, but that’s not really her name.  And I noticed yesterday she doesn't like the name because you've made us grow older and Kaari refers to a young girl.  So it’s best to call her mommy.  Anyway, I really love your mommy so much.  I will do anything to make sure that she and you are always ALWAYS happy.  You two are my everything. And the great thing is that you’ll have two loving parents who will do anything in the world for you, too. Well, almost anything.  Once when I was a kid, I really wanted a helicopter.That was too expensive for my dad.He challenged me to work hard in school that i would buy my own. Anyway, I’m just excited to meet you.  We’ll be finding out in a few weeks if you’re a boy or a girl.  I’m not wishing one way or the other.
Just know that if you’re a girl, I’ll be buying you comfortable shoes because your mommy will be taking you shopping all of the time and you’ll be walking and shopping like crazy. Your mommy likes flat shoes.I don't know why though.We have even named some "condom shoes' because of their plastic nature.Don't mind that i know when you'll have grown,that will be old fashioned.  So many women wear heels and other shoes that look good.  I hope by then you'll have mastered the art of walking on high heels and not falling off like some women in town.  But you’ll never have to worry; your daddy will always make sure you have very comfortable shoes to wear. I know purple will also be your favorite colour, just like your mum.She really likes Purple.You will confirm that latter on but don't tell, her i disclosed this to you.
If you’re a boy, know that we’ll be doing a lot of fun guy things together like rugby.You know dad was a fly-half back in high school?You better prepare to be one too.We will watch soccer with you.I hope you wont be a Chelsea supporter because i will want to cheer against you. Don't be  an Arsenal fan either because you will be disappointed for supporting a team for 9 years yet no trophy. It’s funny how things work…My life used to be just all about me.Then, one day I met your mommy, and soon after my life became all about us. And now that you’re on the way, our lives will soon be all about you.

I promise to introduce to you other fun guy things. Either way, no mater if you are a boy or girl, you and I are going to have a lot of fun together.  I’ll always be doing things to make you smile.  It’s funny, I don’t know you yet, but I just know that I’m going to love seeing you smile and I’ll be doing everything I can to see it as much as I can.
We love you, and we can’t wait to meet you.
Love,
Your Daddy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diary of a Side Chick - Makhwapheni Episode 5

Diary of a Side Chick - Makhwapheni Episode 1

Diary of a Side Chick - Makhwapheni Episode 2